Monday, 7 August 2017

Is there a hole in your (photo) bucket?

The recent change in Photobucket terms and conditions have made massive waves across the hobby. Many forums have had much of their content replaced with the "upgrade your account" message, online retailers have also been affected.

Ultimately we have to wonder to their business model, income was from, I believe, from ads which we were displayed when users accessed online albums. Only problem was, they weren't. PB become the go to site for photo storage specifically so people could host images on forums, in the Internet age storage is incredibly cheap, bandwidth is not and nor is it predictable.

With the Internet as always "If you're paying for the product, you are the product" most definitely definately being true, users are trying to download the photos and move them to alternate sites although they might just be causing the same problem elsewhere, we will have to wait and see.

Years ago, when I started taking digital photos I started using a site called Fotki, currently about half the photos from this site are hosted on there. When I started blogging directly from my iPad I started loading photos directly in to Blogger. Fotki has managed to lose some photos as they have become corrupted in their database, also links to files became broken as some photos had their file paths changed somehow, this on top of a confusing cost structure caused me to give up.

I'm currently replacing all the old linked images with ones uploaded on to Blogger, so if old posts are appearing in your feeds, my apologies. Swapping images out has lead me to read some old posts and remind me of old games and projects.

Here's a couple;


  • Uncharted Seas - Easy to paint models, straight forward rules and still may favourite of all the Spartan games.

  • Lost Worlds - I have cave men, neanderthals and dinosaurs but it's never seen the light of day, I never found rules I was happy with.

  • 6mm ACW - Really disappointed I'd never managed to get a playable force together, messed about with rules and basing before settling on 60mm x 30mm and Black Powder, not to mention I wasn't happy with the black undercoat. Galvanised in to action I have grabbed some started strips and cracked on.




No comments: