Friday, 9 June 2017

Games Expo 2017

Last weekend was Games Expo at the NEC, I popped up on the Friday after managing to get a slot in a game of D&D. Expo has grown to be the third largest game convention in the world, after only Gencon and Essen.

The show is massively different from the wargame shows I'm used to, not only three days and a big focus on gaming but the audience is very different with a good mix of ages and sexes. The trade is now all together in Hall 1, a massive hall which is quite easy to lose yourself in, perhaps exit signs up high would be a good idea.

There was a few familiar faces like Warlord, Magister Militum, Crooked Dice and War Bases but I'm not sure how they would have done with the additional costs of all the hotel costs, people were loading up on board games and RPG books.


After an enjoyable game of D&D fighting off kobolds, I did a little shopping picking up the keepers book for Call of Cthulhu ( a tenner off retail! ) as well a book of short scenarios from Chaosium. They had PDFs in my inbox before I went to bed - excellent service. I also managed to pick up a couple of packs of drones for my Gates of Antares Algoryn army.

Ian Livingstone, of GW and Fighting Fantasy fame did a great seminar on his career in the industry with some great slides.



In all a great experience, next year I'm planning for two days!



No comments: